Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Wake Up Early & Rest


In the morning, when I rise, give me Jesus. 
In the morning, I will rise to meet with Jesus. 



I don't know about you, but I love to sleep. We recently upgraded to a king bed, so it's that much harder to get out of it! (By upgraded I mean sold our queen for the same price we purchased a Restoration Hardware beauty from Craigslist! If you don't check out Craigslist & OfferUp when you're looking or dreaming about something-- do it! Every night Cole exclaims how in love with our new bed he is!) Anyways, back to getting out of bed... WHY is it so hard?! Our middle guy, Connor James, sneaks in with us every night as well, so I just love his little cuddles and don't want it to stop. BUT... If I don't get my morning ME time-- I'm just not at my best. Does this mean I wake early every morning? No, not nearly. But the days I do, I NEVER regret it. Being the first one to wake in my house and pray for my family and our day, is one of my greatest joys... so naturally, I want to share the thought with you. Am I a morning person? No, never really have been. I've always considered myself a night owl. So don't write me off as that. You can do this too, just give it a try.

Yesterday around a table with some beautiful women we talked about creating margin in our lives, room to breathe and why that is so difficult. We are going through the book Breathe by Priscilla Shirer (definitely recommend.)   We've been discussing how we are so comfortable with exhaustion and running in circles, we don't know how to enjoy a break. The guilt that comes in when a day in our calendar isn't full. We've equated significance with busyness. That just reeks of the lies to me. The truth is that He created rest for us. We are not too important or too busy to rest. Maybe we won't find a full twenty-four hour period to rest (especially as a mommy of littles, it's not like we can tell them to stop dirtying their diapers because it's our "sabbath") but finding a chunk of time to pause, to stop, to rest.

So back to waking up early, I know it's not everyone's jam and I'm not trying to push it on you. But what I'm reminded of daily is: 
"The spirit is indeed willing, but the flesh is weak." (Matthew 26:41 ESV) 
Our flesh can be selfish and sloppy. I don't want that to run my day. I want to feed my spirit and flourish. I've chosen little simple things to discipline myself, just like there are consequences to choices for my boys-- I'm giving myself some. I changed two things yesterday, simple & easy. I moved my phone from charging right next to my bed (I even purchased the extra long cord so I didn't have to reach and could have it closer and convenient.) Now it charges across the room by the door. For one-- it will not keep me up late at night, scrolling. Secondly, when the alarm goes off I can't simply hit snooze. I have to get up and it's right on my way out the door and downstairs to my ME time. Secondly, I told myself if I can't get up early, I can't have coffee. Maybe that kind of "discipline" sounds silly, but if you share in the love of coffee-- maybe you understand! Paul talked about self-discipline.
"Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing. I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified."               (1 Corinthians 9:24-27 NLT)
Just a little encouragement to try something new to fit in some time for you to "rest" and feed your soul. There are so many voices swirling around in our heads in the day, I'd like to start mine with the voice of truth. 



To top off the sweetness of my morning-- Connor was the first one to wake up and make it downstairs. His next moves reminded me of how special it is "just to be near the one you love". He leaves his favorite "special seat" (that is a daily fight in our house of who gets to sit in it) and says, "Mom-- will you come bring your Jesus computer and sit on the bench with me? Cuz I wuv you." Perfect end to my time, joining with the sweet slowness of my three-year-old eating his breakfast. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment