Feelings: Fall in Line

There's not many more things in this life that control our decisions and our life course than our feelings and emotions. We all too often allow them to dictate our mood, our perception, our decisions and more. Feelings seem to guide us more than truth. Feelings do have a right place, emotions were designed by God. But ultimately, it must be Truth that guides us with our feelings following behind.  I once learned this brilliant visual, that has always stayed with me. It was shared by Alicia Britt Chole (I highly recommend you check out her website/blog at www.truthportraits.com). It's as if our lives were a train-- we typically have our feelings as the engine and the truth as the caboose. What would happen if we switched those around? Being led by truth and telling our feelings how to line up. I think we'd see a dramatic difference in the way our daily lives were lived. We'd find ourselves walking in more freedom and joy.

It reminds me of David's prayer recorded in Psalm 43, I absolutely love these words... I can see myself saying these words in my heart!
 "O my soul, why are you so overwrought? Why are you so disturbed? Why can’t I just hope in God? Despite all my emotions, I will hope in God again. I will believe and praise the One who saves me and is my life, My Savior and my God." (Psalm 43:5, The Voice)
Then in the version that is typically more familiar to us, I love how direct it makes his statement:
 "Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God." (Psalm 43:5 NIV) 


I love that. Put your hope in God. I need more of that kind of self-talk. I need to take that confidence and that authority over my emotions and let truth dictate my day! I don't want to be a woman who is easily moved or shaken, my God is not. Therefore, why should I be so fickle? So when the truth vs. feelings battle wages all too subtly in my life, I will take notice-- and truth will win.

That's it right there. The key is to take notice when feelings are ruling my life. I have to take action to challenge them with truth... do they line up? Or am I feeling totally off. I will continue to do whatever it takes in my life to turn up the volume to the truth, especially in the midst of my feelings that are so opposing at times. To do this I need to be prepared-- with the truth of who I am and Whose I am. Find out what God says about you, what He promises you in His word, let Him speak to you in the midst of your chaos and confusion of emotions. I promise, He brings peace.

To be completely honest & transparent-- for three days this week, I felt overrun by "emotions" and maybe a little more. It was exhaustion, sloth-like, just down-and-out feeling. I even started to get a slight headache because of it. It hit me for hours-on-end each day for three days in a row... until I finally realized.. this is not me! This is not right. I was praying through it, but then realized I needed to speak it out, for what it was. I told Cole and had him pray with me. I truly felt instantly different, then gradually over the next few hours I was better. The last two days have been great. I'm not sure how much of what I experienced was spiritual, emotional, or physical... but I know it was not right. It was not healthy, there was no joy, there was no way this is the life God intended me... and I wouldn't allow another hour to be robbed from my life.

So whether it's a daily battle for you right now... or something you face more during challenging circumstances in life. Choose truth and you tell your feelings to fall in line!

Who I Am//Regardless of How I Feel


Labels: , , , , , , ,