The Wifeys: Are You a Leaky Faucet?

I LOVE reading a Proverb every day. It's the simplest way I know to make sure that I'm putting truth in front of me. No matter what my excuse of "busyness" for the day, who doesn't have time to read a proverb? So whether it's on my phone, in my actual Bible, or on the computer... I always aim to get to it. And the best part is it's fool-proof. There are 31 proverbs and normally 31 days in a month... so easy!

Today's proverb is FULL of truth to chew on! It's almost too much! I wanted to pick one to highlight today for me to chew on... so hard because they're all soooooo good! But the one that is not my favorite right now, basically because it's the most challenging to me is:
"...a quarrelsome wife is as annoying as a constant dripping." Proverbs 19:13 (NLT)
I like how The Message version puts it too:
"...a nagging spouse is a leaky faucet." Proverbs 19:13 (MSG) 
Dang! And it's not even a whole verse, it's just the second half and it's definitely enough to keep me challenged to becoming better. It's not that I ever want to "nag" or be "quarrelsome" and a lot of time I try to let myself off the hook saying, "well that's not what I meant" or "well if he would just remember then I wouldn't have to remind him, it's not my fault!" Oh my dear, yes it is. (Please excuse me while I check myself.)

I've learned that it's all about the approach. Even though I mean well by it, if it comes out of my mouth in a way that seems like an obligation, a frustration, a mommy (my husband already has one of those and I've got plenty of boys to mother), or just a plain 'ol jerk... I need to pause and think before I speak. I (almost) always mean what I'm saying in love... so why not start with love?

Imagine how differently our first moments together after being apart would be if it was welcomed with a kiss, a hug, an embrace. Instead of words of to-do's, schedules, unpaid bills, things he forgot, or needs we have. All of that would be received so much differently if he was reminded with a kiss that this is the woman he is madly in love, sharing this life with and raising these amazing kids with!

There is romance after kids. There is love for each other after kids-- and if anything I'm pretty sure it should multiply. The thing is we HAVE to be intentional as wives to put thought, effort and a little bit of spice into keeping it alive. And I definitely want to be a blessing to my amazing husband and not that leaky faucet he gets to come home to after a long day. I want to be refreshing. Which reminds me of another one of my favorite promises that's found in proverbs (I added the feminine touch)  :
"...she who refreshes others will herself be refreshed." Proverbs 11:25 (NIV)                 

Bride for life, not becoming a nagging wife! 

So here's to being intentional about loving on the love of my life!

Labels: , ,